Have you ever eaten locusts? Is it true that they taste like shrimps? Fancy snacking on crickets while watching a movie? Some people comment that crickets have the aroma of popcorn. Watch this short video to find out more about entomophagy, the practice of eating insects.
Test your understanding by answering the questions below.
- Name five different bugs that are mentioned in the video.
- Why have people lost the taste for bugs over the years?
- Explain what the “ick factor” is.
- Which parts of the world are still the keenest consumers of bugs?
- What are the different ways of eating bugs?
- Name the two main reasons of why we eat.
- In terms of nutritional value, what are some of the benefits of eating bugs
- How are the tastes of mealworms, locusts and crickets compared to?
- In terms of environmental impact, why is farming of insects better than livestock farming?
- How can farming of insects help the economies of developing countries.